Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Grown Up Clothes

I had an interview today (same agency, different position) so I wore some grown up clothes:



I wore a black pencil skirt (thrifted), a sheer blue blouse (Olivia Moon via Nordstrom) layered over a black camisole (Old Navy) and added black pumps (Aerosoles via Piperlime), a few black, white and blue bracelets and some hoop earrings.  Once again, photographing this top gave me and Ferge (my photog) fits.  It’s gorgeous and I love wearing it, but can’t seem to model it for anything.  It’s fabulously flowy but, as I said last time, that means it’s better in motion.  This shot shows the drape a little bit though:


Interview clothes are an odd thing for me to wrap my mind around.  Kari over at The Chronicles of Lady K wrote about this same topic yesterday (she has an interview tomorrow) and it made me think about the rules for dressing for an interview.  My only rule is to dress appropriately while at the same time not dressing like anyone but me.  I want to be comfortable in what I’m wearing so I can concentrate on the interview and not worry about whether or not I look foolish because I’m wearing something outside of my comfort zone.

But, what does it mean to dress appropriately for an interview?  Kari mentioned that she wouldn’t dare bare legs.  I have bare legs and a sheer blouse, and still think I’m dressed appropriately because I also have a pencil skirt and pumps.  In my mind nothing says “interview” like a pencil skirt.  But, does the pencil skirt negate the sheerness of my blouse?  And do my sensible pumps make up for my bare legs?

For me, this outfit is the perfect combination of dressing for the situation, but still dressing for me.  It’s not as, let’s say “fashion forward,” as my bright, color-blocked outfit from yesterday but even I know bright red pants would be a bit too much for an interview.  And perhaps a sheer blouse is also a bit too much for an interview, but maybe that’s my aesthetic.  Maybe “A Bit Too Much” should be the Fashion for Giants motto.

But what about you, Reader Friends?  Do you have your own set of rules for dressing for an interview?

Happy Wednesday, All!

Gracey

P.S. The interview went well but I won’t know until Monday if I got the position or not.  I’ll keep you posted!